This is a hand knit sweater pattern that I designed for use with my handspun Shetland wool. I designed the pattern using knitting software by Knitware.ca
This knitting pattern makes a raglan sleeve jumper and is knit on circular needles from the bottom up. It is knit in a simple stocking stitch, but you can add your own special touches to it with a knitted motif such as the Sarah Lund jumper designs, or a cable knit.
Circular Bottom-Up Hip length Straight Pullover with Ribbing
Raglan shoulder with Full length Lantern/Straight sleeves with Ribbing
Round (crew) front neck and Flat back neck with Single Band collar
SHETLAND HANDSPUN; NATURAL; PURE SHETLAND WOOL; HANDWASH ONLY
Gauge (Stocking Stitch over 4 in = 10 cm): 13.0 sts by 17.0 rows.
Body knit by hand on 8 mm circular needles
Ribbing knit by hand on 10 mm circular needles
FINISHED DIMENSIONS: (ins): … with Moderate fit.
|Top Neck Opening:||6.0||6,5||7.0||8.0|
|Front Neck Width:||3.0||3.3||3.5||3.8|
|Front Neck Depth:||3.3||3.6||3.9||4.1|
|Yarn Required in Grams||550-650 grams||600-750 grams||650-800 grams||700-850 grams|
Because handspun yarns can vary quite a bit in weight, I have given approximate estimates of the amount of yarn required.
Note: Read ALL these instructions thoroughly BEFORE starting to knit. There may be sections where there are two shapings to work at the same time (such as necklines or waist shaping).
BODY: (HEM TO ARMHOLE)
1. Cast on 116 sts [128,138,150] on size 10 circular needle. Join the circle, taking care not to twist the stitches. Mark the side ‘seams’ at the beginning and at the halfway point(58 sts)[64,69,75]. Work in K1P1 ribbing for 2.5 ins. Inc 4 [4,4 ,6] sts evenly across the round to 120 sts [132,142,156]total.
2. Change to size 8 circular needle and Stocking Stitch. Work even until piece measures 16.2 [16.9,16.9,17.2]ins (69 rounds)[72,72,73], excluding hem.
SLEEVES: (HEM TO ARMHOLE)
1. Cast on 22 sts [24,25,26] on size 10 dp needles. Join the circle, taking care not to twist the stitches. Mark the ‘seam’ at the beginning of the round. Work in K1P1 ribbing for 2.0 ins.[2.00,2.3,2.3] Inc 17 sts [19,21,23] evenly across the round to 39 sts [43,46,49] total.
2. Change to size 8 dp needles and Stocking Stitch.
3. Work even until sleeve measures 14.5 ins [14.7,14.7,14.7] (62 rounds)[63,63,63], excluding hem.
4. Place these sts on a holder and work the second sleeve.
JOINING BODY AND SLEEVES:
1. Mark the front so you know which part of the body it is.
2. Underarm sts (four sets). Transfer 6[6,6 ,8] sts to a holder, centred at each of the four ‘seam’ markers on the body and the sleeves. These sts will be left unworked until the top shaping is complete, then sewn or grafted together to join the body and sleeve at the armhole.
3. Hold (and temporarily pin) the sleeves beside the body (all right side out), with the underarm sts and ‘seams’ matching. With the right side facing, and starting where the back meets the left sleeve, pick up and knit sts as follows: 33 [37,40,41] from the left sleeve, 54[60,65,70] from the front, 33 [37,40,41]from the right sleeve and 54[60,65,70] from the back. Total 174 sts [194,210,222]. At the same time, place four markers for the raglan shaping, one at each boundary between body and sleeve. Reminder: do NOT work the underarm sts.
1. Work raglan shaping as follows: dec 1 st at front/back sides of each raglan marker on every 2nd round 17 times. At the same time, dec 1 st at sleeve sides of each raglan marker on every 3rd round 4 times, then every 2nd round 11 times. Work this raglan shaping while incorporating the front neckline shaping in the following steps.
1. Work raglan shaping as follows: dec 1 st at front/back sides of each raglan marker on every 2nd round 16 times, then every round 4 times. At the same time, dec 1 st at sleeve sides of each raglan marker on every 3rd round once, then every 2nd round 16 times. Work this raglan shaping while incorporating the front neckline shaping in the following steps.
1. Work raglan shaping as follows: dec 1 st at front/back sides of each raglan marker on every 2nd round 18 times, then every round 3 times. At the same time, dec 1 st at sleeve sides of each raglan marker on every 2nd round 19 times. Work this raglan shaping while incorporating the front neckline shaping in the following steps.
1. Work raglan shaping as follows: dec 1 st at front/back sides of each raglan marker on every 2nd round 18 times, then every round 5 times. At the same time, dec 1 st at sleeve sides of each raglan marker on every 3rd round twice, then every 2nd round 17 times. Work this raglan shaping while incorporating the front neckline shaping in the following steps
2. Front Neckline. When yoke measures 5.0 ins [5.1,5.4,5.7] (at round 21)[21,23,25], break yarn at end of round and start neckline shaping as follows.
3. Divide for neck. Mark center 10 sts [10,11,12] of the front section for the bottom of neckline (13 sts [16,17,18] each side on the front). Slip sts between end of round and right neckline marker onto the right hand needle. With right side facing, rejoin yarn at left neckline marker, place sts between neckline markers on a holder, and work all the way around to the other neckline marker. From this point on, work back and forth in rows, instead of in rounds.
4. Shape neck. Dec 1 st at neck edge every row 3 [3,3,4]times.
5. Work even at neck edges, continuing raglan shaping. Continue work to total 36 rows [37,40,42] for yoke (28 sts remaining)[28,29,32].
ROUND (CREW) FRONT NECK SINGLE BAND COLLAR:
1. Transfer yoke sts to size 10 circular needle, then pick up and work 11 sts [12,14,15] from left front neck edge, 10 sts [10,11,12] from front neck holder, 11 sts [12,14,15] from right front neck edge. Total 60 sts.[62,68,74]
2. Work 1.0 ins (5 rows) in K1P1 ribbing.
3. Cast off loosely.
AMAZON – Knitting Books
Boyfriend Sweaters: 19 Designs for Him That You’ll Want to Wear
Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys, and Arans: Fishermen’s Sweaters from the British Isles
Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
Last Updated on March 10, 2021 by Paivi Suomi