Rayon or cotton chenille yarns require a different finishing technique than other handwoven articles. When chenille is in loom-state it feels stiff as cardboard. This finishing treatment will make it soft and luxurious.
- Remove your handwoven rayon or cotton chenille scarf from the loom.
- Fix any broken ends, knots or other necessary repairs.
- Make a tightly twisted fringe to finish the edge.
- Using a spray bottle filled with clean water, spray the chenille article until damp.
- Roll the article up and place it in a plastic bag.
- Let the article sit in the bag a few hours, or overnight.
- Remove the article from the bag, and place it your dryer on high heat, gentle cycle.
- Let dry in dryer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the dryer, and press with a steam iron.
- If any of the fringe has come undone, the ends can be retwisted.
- If you are in a hurry, you can skip Step 6, leaving the chenille to sit in the plastic bag.
- The fringe must be tightly twisted, to prevent worming.
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance
Hand Weaving Books
Weaving on a Little Loom (Everything you need to know to get started with weaving, includes 5 simple projects
The Key to Weaving: A Textbook of Hand Weaving for the Beginning Weaver
The Weaver’s Companion (The Companion Series)
Learning to Weave
The Big Book of Weaving: Handweaving in the Swedish Tradition: Techniques, Patterns, Designs and Materials
The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory
A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns: From the Friends of Handwoven
Krokbragd: How to Design & Weave
Doubleweave: On Four to Eight Shafts
Double Weave: Theory and Practice<
Magic of Doubleweave: The Best of Weaver’s (Best of Weaver’s series)
Weaving In the Arts: Widening the Learning Circle
DIY Woven Art: Inspiration and Instruction for Handmade Wall Hangings, Rugs, Pillows and More!
>On the Loom: A Modern Weaver’s Guide
Last Updated on March 16, 2021 by Paivi Suomi