Handspun requires a special finishing treatment. Hand spun yarns should be washed or fulled before they are used for knitting, weaving or other projects to wash out grease or oils, and set the twist of the yarn.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Wind your handspun yarn into skeins.
- Using a contrasting yarn, preferably a cotton, tie each skein loosely in at least 3 places.
- Fill a wash basin with hot water.
- Add a mild soap to the hot water, such as dishwashing liquid.
- Place the skeins of yarn into the hot soapy water.
- Give the yarns a good beating in the hot water. I use a potato masher.
- Let the yarns soak for about 10 minutes.
- Drain out the hot water and remove the skeins from the wash basin.
- Fill the wash basin with cold water.
- Place the skeins into the cold water. Agitate again with the potato masher.
- Drain the cold water and remove the skeins.
- Ring out the excess water from the skeins and wrap them in a towel.
- Squeeze out the remaining water from the skeins.
- Hang the skeins up to dry.
- So that the skeins don’t tangle together, make sure that the skeins are tied loosely but securely with the cotton yarn.
- The hot/cold treatment described above, shocks the yarn and opens up the fibre.
- This method is appropriate for wools, silks or cotton yarns.
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance
The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook: More Than 200 Fibers, from Animal to Spun Yarn
The Whole Craft of Spinning: From the Raw Material to the Finished Yarn
The Practical Spinner’s Guide – Cotton, Flax, Hemp (Practical Spinner’s Guides)
Spin Flax & Cotton: Traditional Techniques with Norman Kennedy
The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being A Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinions On the Noble Art & Craft
The Knitter’s Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
The Intentional Spinner
Last Updated on April 14, 2021 by Paivi Suomi