Do you ever want to warp your loom and are waiting to find another weaver or friend, or family member who is willing and able to help you wind the warp? During one of our recent Chat sessions,Sandra explained her method or warping. She uses water jugs to weight her warp, while winding. The jugs should have a handle.(plastic milk jugs work well) This weighting method works for either Back-to-Front (B2F) or Front-to-Back (F2B). You will have even tension and no longer have to rely on a friendly family member to assist.
Photos: (c) SandraC
- Divide warp into no larger than 6″ sections.
- Fill enough jugs with water, so all are equal weight, to go across whole
warp. It is important that all are the same weight.
- Straighten and smooth each section of warp so all threads are as close to equally tensioned.
- Make a slipknot in each section.
- On each water jug, make a loop and use a knot to hook it onto the handle.
- Hook the loop on the water jug around the slipknot in the warp (trust me it will hold, I didn’t think so either until I saw it).
- Do this for all sections of warp.
- Then start winding warp onto beam, until jugs reach the breast beam.
- Then untie, and do it all over again
Rigid Heddle Weaving Books
The Weaver’s Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom
Handwoven Home: Weaving Techniques, Tips, and Projects for the Rigid-Heddle Loom
Color & Texture for the Rigid Heddle Loom: A Study in Yarn Selection for Weavers
Weaving Made Easy Revised and Updated: 17 Projects Using a Rigid-Heddle Loom
WeaveKnitWear: Simply Fabulous Clothing and Accessories for Rigid Heddle (and Other) Weavers
The Key to Weaving: A Textbook of Hand Weaving for the Beginning Weaver
The Weaver’s Companion (The Companion Series)
Learning to Weave
The Big Book of Weaving: Handweaving in the Swedish Tradition: Techniques, Patterns, Designs and Materials
The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory
A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns: From the Friends of Handwoven
Krokbragd: How to Design & Weave
Doubleweave: On Four to Eight Shafts
Double Weave: Theory and Practice
Magic of Doubleweave: The Best of Weaver’s (Best of Weaver’s series)
Weaving In the Arts: Widening the Learning Circle
DIY Woven Art: Inspiration and Instruction for Handmade Wall Hangings, Rugs, Pillows and More!
>On the Loom: A Modern Weaver’s Guide
[ebayfeedsforwordpress feed=”http://rest.ebay.com/epn/v1/find/item.rss?keyword=stoorstalka&categoryId1=14339&sortOrder=BestMatch&programid=15&campaignid=5338663940&toolid=10039&listingType1=All&descriptionSearch=true&sellerId1=moomin53&feedType=rss&lgeo=1″ items=”5″]
[ebayfeedsforwordpress feed=” http://rest.ebay.com/epn/v1/find/item.rss?keyword=weaving+loom&categoryId1=14339&sortOrder=BestMatch&programid=1&campaignid=5336495175&toolid=10039&minPrice=100.0&listingType1=All&descriptionSearch=true&feedType=rss&lgeo=1″ items=”3″]
Last Updated on April 2, 2020 by Paivi Suomi