If you aren’t sure about the weight or yardage of your yarn, a handy tool to use is a McMorran Balance. A McMorran balance is used to determine the yardage of an unknown yarn. The McMorran balance consists of a rectangular box and a balancing arm.
- Place the McMorran balance on a level surface, such as on the edge of a table.
- Set the pins of the small balancing arm into the small notches on the top of the box.
- Lay a length of yarn in the notch of the balance, allowing the yarn to hang down towards the floor.
- Using scissors start to trim the length of yarn, cutting x-about 1/2 inch at a time, until the balancing arm is level.
- When the arm is level, remove the length of yarn from the balance.
- Measure the length of yarn against a ruler.
- Multiply the measurement x 100.
- This measurement gives you the number of yards per lb. of yarn (ypp)
- e.g. 6 inches x 100 = 600 ypp
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance
Hand Weaving Books
Weaving on a Little Loom (Everything you need to know to get started with weaving, includes 5 simple projects
The Key to Weaving: A Textbook of Hand Weaving for the Beginning Weaver
The Weaver’s Companion (The Companion Series)
Learning to Weave
The Big Book of Weaving: Handweaving in the Swedish Tradition: Techniques, Patterns, Designs and Materials
The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory
A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns: From the Friends of Handwoven
Krokbragd: How to Design & Weave
Doubleweave: On Four to Eight Shafts
Double Weave: Theory and Practice<
Magic of Doubleweave: The Best of Weaver’s (Best of Weaver’s series)
Weaving In the Arts: Widening the Learning Circle
EBAY SHOPPING – USED WEAVING LOOMS
USED FLOOR LOOMS - US
USED FLOOR LOOMS - UK
Or Please visit my Channel on Rumble for more how-to videos. https://rumble.com/Paivatar
Categories: HAND WEAVING, How To