A twisted fringe makes a nice finished edge for handwoven blankets or scarves and is recommended for rayon chenille or slippery yarns.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time Required: 90 minutes
- Allow 6 – 10 inches of warp allowance for your twisted fringe, leaving this unwoven.
- Determine how thick you want your fringe to be. Usually 4 – 6 warp ends work well for most items.
- Starting at one edge of the scarf, grasp 3 warp ends in your hand.
- Begin to twist this group of 3 ends to the right.
- Keep twisting to the right until the yarn bundle begins to kink.
- While holding tightly onto this twisted yarn bundle, grasp the next 3 warp ends and begin to twist these together to the right (in the same direction as the previous warp bundle)
- Again, keep twisting to the right, until the yarn kinks.
- Take both twisted warp bundles and hold them together.
- Twist both bundles to the left, so that they twist together, wrapping around each other.
- Secure the bundles with a knot at the end of the fringe.
- Repeat the above procedure, working across the scarf or blanket.
- If working with rayon or cotton chenille, the twisted fringe should be wound tightly, to prevent worming.
- The fringe should be done, before the article is wet-finished or fulled.
- If you are going to do a lot of twisted fringes, a Fringe Twister makes this procedure much easier.
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance
Hand Weaving Books
The Key to Weaving: A Textbook of Hand Weaving for the Beginning Weaver
The Weaver’s Companion (The Companion Series)
Learning to Weave
The Big Book of Weaving: Handweaving in the Swedish Tradition: Techniques, Patterns, Designs and Materials
The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory
A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns: From the Friends of Handwoven
EBAY Weaving Looms
USED FLOOR LOOMS – US
USED FLOOR LOOMS – UK
EBAY SHOPPING – USED WEAVING LOOMS
USED FLOOR LOOMS - US
USED FLOOR LOOMS - UK
Or Please visit my Channel on Rumble for more how-to videos. https://rumble.com/Paivatar
Categories: HAND WEAVING, How To