Rainbow Dyed Silk
Rainbow dyeing is a quick and fun method for dyeing silk, wool, mohair or other protein fibre using concentrated CIBA Acid-based powder dyes.
- Thoroughly wet the clean fibre or yarn to be dyed.
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the dyepot and stir.
- Add 2 – 4 oz. of fibre or yarn into the dyepot.
- Using the end of a chopstick, dip it into the dye powder and then place the dye into the edge of the dyepot.
- With another chopstick, dip it into another colour of dye powder and place the dye into the dyepot on the other side of the dyepot.
- If using 3 or more colours, repeat Step 7
- If dyeing more wool, place another layer of wool into the dyepot and repeat steps 5 – 8, changing the location of dye placement.
- Allow dyepot to simmer at least 20 minutes, or until all the dye has exhausted.
- If the dye is exhausted before you have sufficient colour, you can add more dye, by gently lifting the edge of the fibre and adding more dye.
- Turn off the heat and allow the dyepot to cool
- Remove the dyed fibre from the dyepot, squeeze out excess moisture and let dry.
- Happy Spinning!
- Use clean, scoured wool.
- No stirring, or you will get felt!
- Make sure there is sufficient water to completely cover the fibre.
More How To
How Long does it take to knit
How to Make an Alum Mordant
How to Mordant Cotton and Linen Yarns
How to Sew Handwoven Fabric
How to Spin a Cabled Yarn
How to Make a Tin Mordant
How to Make a Twisted Fringe
How to Use a Corker
How to Wash Fleece
How to Felt
How to Use a McMorran Balance
Books – Dyes and Colour
Color by Accident: Low-Water Immersion Dyeing
The Yarn Lover’s Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits
Yarns to Dye For
Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Custom-Color Your Favorite Fibers with Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
Yarn Works: How to Spin, Dye, and Knit Your Own Yarn
Tie-Dye: Dye It, Wear It, Share It
Prepared to Dye: Dyeing Techniques for Fiber Artists